A member of the Fisher River Cree Nation, Mr. Cochrane practices in the areas of Indigenous Law, Business Law and Child Protection Law.
Prior to entering private practice, Mr. Cochrane was legal counsel at the Federal Department of Justice. He worked in the Criminal Prosecution, Tax Litigation and Aboriginal Law sections.
Mr. Cochrane provides full comprehensive legal services to a number of First Nation Bands, First Nation Settlement Trusts, First Nation political organizations and Indigenous Child Protection Agencies.
Mr. Cochrane continues his leadership role in the development and expansion of our Indigenous Law and Child Protection Law practice groups. He provides comprehensive child protection legal services to CFS agencies regularly attending child protection and child abuse registry trials. He has appeared as counsel at Child Death Inquests and at the Phoenix Sinclair Public Inquiry.
Mr. Cochrane is also often engaged by First Nations in land claim negotiations, self government negotiations, Crown consultation processes, governance issues (including bylaws, Custom Election Codes and Membership Codes) and business development on First Nation territory.
Mr. Cochrane is legal counsel to First Nation Settlement Trusts in Manitoba and Ontario where he provides full comprehensive legal services.
Mr. Cochrane grew up on the Fisher River Cree Nation in Manitoba.
University of Manitoba, Bachelor of Arts
University of Manitoba, Bachelor of Laws
Leadership, Membership and Achievements
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Current Board Member of United Way
- Past Member, United Way of Winnipeg’s Aboriginal Relations Council
- Past Board Member, Aboriginal Chamber of Commerce
- Served as legal counsel to Southern First Nations in the Aboriginal Justice Inquiry – Child Welfare Initiative which resulted in the restructuring of the child welfare system in Manitoba.
- Legal Counsel at the Phoenix Sinclair Public Inquiry.
- Legal Counsel to Manitoba First Nations in self-government negotiations with Canada and the Province of Manitoba toward achievement and restoration of jurisdiction over child welfare matters and education.
- Member of legal team acting for a Manitoba First Nation in relation to the negotiation and development of the Keeyask Hydro Dam on traditional First Nation territory in northern Manitoba.
- Co-legal counsel for a Manitoba First Nation in relation to the development and establishment of a Casino and Resort on First Nation Territory in Manitoba.
- Legal Counsel to the First Peoples Economic Growth Fund – an economic development initiative to support Manitoba First Nation businesses.