Mr. Saxberg is one of the founding partners of Cochrane Saxberg Law. He practices in the areas of labour and employment law, human rights law, indigenous law, child protection law, insurance law, complex commercial litigation, pension law, utility regulation, and entertainment/music law.
Prior to establishing Cochrane Saxberg Law, Mr. Saxberg was the managing partner at D’Arcy & Deacon LLP. He was called to the Bar in 1999.
Mr. Saxberg has acted, and continues to act, on behalf of many indigenous groups and organizations, including indigenous CFS Agencies, advocacy groups, and political organizations. He has been involved as lead or co-lead counsel in several high-profile cases, such as the “Kapyong Barracks” surplus land case, the Monin Inquiry, the Phoenix Sinclair Inquiry, the MTS pension lawsuit and regulatory cases relating to sale of Centra Gas to Manitoba Hydro.
Mr. Saxberg is the labour lawyer for Telecommunications Employees Association of Manitoba – International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers, Local 161 (TEAM). TEAM is a union representing professional employees at BellMTS.
Mr. Saxberg and Brian J. Meronek, Q.C. conducted a fourteen-week pension trial in which their clients won a judgment valued at $140 million against MTS (now BellMTS). This judgment is the largest award made by a Manitoba court in a commercial litigation to our knowledge. The case was heard by the Supreme Court of Canada, who endorsed the decision of the trial judge and awarded solicitor and client costs on a full indemnity basis throughout the litigation to the Firm’s clients.
Mr. Saxberg is an experienced trial lawyer. He has argued at The Supreme Court of Canada, The Federal Court of Appeal, the Alberta Court of Appeal and in all levels of court in Manitoba. He also has extensive experience appearing before administrative and regulatory tribunals, such as The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal, The Public Utilities Board, The Canadian Industrial Relations Board, Labour Arbitration panels, the Securities Commission and the Municipal Board to name a few.
University of Manitoba, Bachelor of Arts with distinction, 1993
University of Manitoba, Premaster, 1994
The Manitoba Legislative Internship, 1995
University of Manitoba, Bachelor of Laws, 1998
Canadian Gas Association Regulatory Course, 2001
Leadership, Membership and Achievements
- Law Society of Manitoba
- Manitoba Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former Director and Legal Counsel, Lieutenant Governor’s Youth Experience Program
- Member, SOCAN
- Brokenhead First Nation v Canada (Attorney General), 2011 FCA 148
- Flette et al v The Government of Manitoba, 2021 MBQB 84 (CanLII)
- Tacan v Sioux Valley Dakota Nation, Adjudication under Division XIV – Part III of the Canada Labour Code
- Métis Child, Family and Community Services v HDGJ, 2021 MBCA 18 (CanLII)
- MK v Child and Family All Nations Coordinated Response Network, 2020 MBQB 156 (CanLII)
- Pereira, Jose Antonio a.k.a. Joe Pereira – Jurisdiction Manitoba Securities Commission
- Alizadeh-Ebadi v. Manitoba Telecom Services Inc., 2017 CHRT 36 (CanLII) – human rights law – discrimination
- Telecommunication Employees Association of Manitoba Inc. et al. v. Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. et al., 2014 SCC11 (CanLII) – 2014-01-30 Supreme Court of Canada – employees retirees – pension plan – actuary – initial surplus – governance
- Telecommunication Employees Association of Manitoba Inc. et al. v. Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. et al., 2010 MBQB 11 (CanLII) – 2010-01-19 Court of Queen’s Bench of Manitoba – employees retirees – pension plan – actuary – initial surplus – governance
- Sagkeeng Child and Family Services v. A.R.W. et al., 2007 MBCA 122 (CanLII) – 2007-10-12 Court of Appeal principles of fundamental justice – permanent guardianship – adoption – parental
- Consumers’ Assn. of Canada (Man.) Inc. et al. v. Manitoba (Public Utilities Board), 2005 MBQB 152 (CanLII) – 2005-06-27 Court of Queen’s Bench of Manitoba
- Terracon Development Ltd. v. Winnipeg City Assessor, 2002 MBCA 117 (CanLII) – 2002-09-20 Court of Appeal – Manitoba infrastructure – evidence – expenses – owner – property
- Public Utilities Board Order 128/09 – Centra Gas Manitoba Inc. 2009/10 and 2010/11 General Rate Application and Other Matters – 2009/09/16